Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year!

Greetings People of 2011! 
For the technical-minded among us (my husband tells me) this number marks the true beginning of the new decade. For me, I am completely jazzed and excited as this week heralds the beginning of San Mateo County's new composting and recycling program. Yay!!!! Our bins have been ready for weeks and finally it is time for the real separation to begin. And not a moment too soon. We just spent a week at a Club Med where there were unbelievable buffets for every meal...and so much food waste. I am planning to be the cheerful garbage police and pail organizer in my own home--though if the kids want to take it on as part of their allowance chores (those things they are supposed to do every week to earn an allowance that hasn't completely caught on yet) we can share the duty. 

As I'm still on Domincan Republic time, 4 hours earlier than here, I keep waking up at 4 or 5 a.m. and being ready for bed at 8 or 9 at night. It feels great to be so awake in the morning (how long will this feeling last?) though I don't really go to bed at 8 or 9....I find it hard to get up in the dark though, so I lie there for a while first. People seem to love early mornings to get their favorite things done -- exercise, or writing time, or getting things organized for the day. My New Year's resolution is to make quick, good decisions. Here I come, New Year.

No comments: