Thursday, July 1, 2010

Molting

I've always held a fascination for molting. Squirming out of your skin and leaving it behind. Maybe because I've had psoriasis since I was 18 this seemed very appealing if I could figure out how to do it. This week one of our hermit crabs molted, leaving behind its entire skin intact. It looked exactly like a crab and barely weighed less. I couldn't figure out how another crab got in the tank! But then Aaron figured it out.

The same week, after doing my proper bending and glide-walking and building up my gluts in the Esther Gokhale 8 Steps to a Pain Free Back process (which, let me tell you, is worth the whole thing even without the posture and other health benefits - you get a great butt!), I actually split my pants.

Okay, stop laughing. It might have had just the tiniest, tiniest bit to do with gaining a few extra pounds over the winter or the jeans getting worn and old, but for me, I prefer the molting scenario. There was not, alas, a new pair of jeans underneath, or even a new skin, just shell-colored underwear. And my husband and kids each took turns poking me through the hole in my pants on the way out of the Chinese restaurant.

But still, I was pleased in an odd way. And I fared better than Spikey the hermit crab, who sadly didn't survive long after molting. (R.I.P. Spikes). Except now I have to go shopping.

No comments: